1 cup acorn squash puree
1 tbs honey
5 cups graham flour
1 package dried yeast
1 tsp salt
5 tbs butter
1/2 cup warm water
1/4 cup warm milk
- Split the squash, scrape out the seeds, and place it cut sides up in a tray with 1 cup water. Bake in a 400 F oven until tender, app. 30 min. Cool 10 min before scooping out the flesh.
- In a large bowl mix the flower, honey, yeast, and salt.
- Mix the butter, squash, water and milk in a small bowl and stir the mixture in the the big bowl with the flour mix.
- Knead the dough thoroughly on a floured surface until elastic, shape it to a ball and place in oiled bowl, cover with film and leave in a warm place to rise for about an hour.
- Pour the dough out onto lightly floured surface and roll out into a 10 inch square. Cut the dough into 10 strips and place 5 of the strips on an oiled baking sheet. Fold first, third and fifth strip halfway back. Take a new strip and place it over the second and fourth strip, then fold the three remaining strips back over and now fold the second and forth back, crisscrossing a new strip and so forth until all strips have been applied.
- Fold the ends under the bread and gently round it. Leave to rise under a clean, damp dishcloth for app. 40 min.
- If you wish, gently brush the bread with a beaten egg, milk or plain yogurt and bake in the over at 350 F 30 - 40 minutes until golden.